Six tips for authors who might be considering writing under a pen name.
Crime writer, Frances di Plino puts forward the good, the bad and the ugly points.
- If you write in more than one genre, you can build a fan base for each without confusing or disappointing your readers.
- You can develop each persona into a strong brand with an easily recognisable style.
- Initially, no one will know who the author is, so even if you have a good fan base as Me Writer, it’s going to be hard to get Also Writer known.
- Unless you link your pseudonym with your own name (which kind of defeats the purpose), how would anyone be able to search online for your pen name?
- Keeping the genres and personas separate means creating a secondary online persona and trying to remember who you’re supposed to be.
- You will need to spend twice as long promoting, tweeting, linking, liking and commenting.